What can you do with Downtime?
You can set time limits for computer use for different users on your
computer. Downtime works with the built-in multi-user
capabilities of OS X and takes advantage of the OS X Unix
Security features to ensure that users can't circumvent the rules
you set. Here are some of the things you can do with Downtime:
- Your account is the main administrator account. There are no limitations
on your account.
- Your son is allowed to use the computer on the weekends but only for
2 hours, and he is not allowed to use the computer any later than 8
- Your daughter is working on a lot of school papers, so she can use
the computer on weekdays after school until 10 PM. She can also use
the computer any time on weekends but only for 3 hours per day.
- Your other son has had a bad attitude lately, so you've disabled his
account indefinitely. Maybe you'll turn it back on after the lawn gets
mowed a few times.
- Your spouse is always nice to you, so there are no restrictions on
Downtime makes it easy to set up rules like this. There are just a couple